Remote access for Librarian Portal
Free access to COVID 19 News and Research
Science has made several changes related specifically to COVID 19, including sharing research findings, making data swiftly available, accelerating its publishing practices governing the release of research papers on coronavirus and urging scientists to post their submitted studies on preprint sites, all the while preserving the peer-review process to ensure the validity of the research published in the Science family of journals.
The Science family of journals is comprised of Science, Science Signaling, Science Translational Medicine, Science Immunology, Science Robotics, and the open access journal Science Advances.
Remote Access Options to Subscription Content
If your patrons are seeking access to non-COVID 19 research, AAAS/Science supports the following remote access options to institutional subscribers of the journals Science, Science Signaling, Science Translational Medicine, Science Immunology, and Science Robotics.
- VPN or Proxy Server: If your organization provides access to their network through a VPN or Proxy Server (i.e., EZProxy), connecting to the VPN or Proxy Server will allow your patrons to access your organization’s licensed articles from the Science family of journals. Site administrators can update IP ranges via this site. Additional information about managing your account is here.
- Google CASA: Campus Activated Subscriber Access (CASA) is a Google Scholar initiative to improve access to research off campus. If you are connected to your campus network (directly or by VPN) and use Google Scholar, Google will remember your organizational affiliation on that same device for 90 days. This 90-day authentication period is refreshed each time you access Google Scholar from within your campus network. If the preconditions for authentication are met, you can click the CASA PDF button on our article pages and be taken to fulltext content per the institution’s current subscriptions. For specific questions, please review the information here from our platform provider, HighWire.
Preconditions for remote access:
- The user has been on their institutional network within the past 90 days
- While on the institution’s IPs, the user logged into any Google service (Gmail, Scholar, etc)
- The user is accessing AAAS/Science from that same device and browser while remote
Shibboleth/OpenAthens: If your library is a member of a supported Shibboleth federation or if your organization uses OpenAthens, please provide the federated scope and entity ID for your institution to firstname.lastname@example.org so we may configure your account access accordingly. Once this configuration is set up, your organizational login can be used to access journals to which your library subscribes. Look for the organizational login link on any article page, where you can select your regional federation from the drop-down list and then select your organization. You will then be able to log in with your organizational credentials and access any content you would normally be able to access on campus.
Librarians or IT administrators who have questions about remote access options to the Science family of journals should email ScienceOnline@aaas.org.